RIG & YAJUR UPAKARMA (AVANI AVITTAM) – Monday, August 3, 2020
Upakarma, a Vedic ritual, is conducted once a year during Shravan/Avani month, when Brahmins ritually change their Yagnopaveetam, or sacred thread accompanied by relevant rituals such as offerings to the Rishis. On the following day, the Gayatri Mantra is recited 1008 times.
This year, the Rig & Yajur Veda Upakarma falls on August 3rd, 2020 (Civic Day).
Due to the current restrictions as a result of the COVID Pandemic, the temple has arranged for the following Mandatory Measures to ensure all devotees are able to participate in a safe manner:
There will be multiple batches, each with a restriction of 35 devotees at a time, as per below.
Schedule for Batches
|Time Slot||Arrive by||Max Devotees|
|6 am||5:45 am||35|
|7 am||6:45 am||35|
|8 am||7:45 am||35|
|9 am||8:45 am||35|
|10 am (With Homam)|
|First/Thalai Avani Avittam||9:45 am||35|
|12 noon||11:45 am||35|
Devotees who want to participate/sponsor Gayatri Homam for First/Thala Avani Avittam, please contact the temple. Sankalpam will be provided for those performing the Gayatri Japam at home.
All devotees are asked to contact the temple at 905-282-0108 to pre-book your time slots. Tickets ($25 each) can be purchased at the temple
- Devotees will have to contact the temple office to pre-book their time slot.
- All devotees will have to wear a face mask, and maintain physical distancing/personal hygiene within the temple.
- Devotees will have to bring their own Pancha Patram/Uddharani/Plate, and will have to sit at the allocated seats.
- Dhravyas (Poonal, Dharba, Pavitram, Akshada, Sesame) required for the Puja will be provided by the temple.
- There will be no congregations inside the temple prior to, or after the ceremony, to allow for cleaning activities to take place.
- Please follow the instructions of the priest, and adhere to all restrictions.
- Please complete Kamokarishi Japam at home before arriving – audio guide will be uploaded online.
For those devotees unable to attend at the temple, Please contact the temple for other arrangements (Zoom, Facetime).
Note: Sama Veda Upakarma is on August 22nd, 2020, and further details will be provided on the temple website.